Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

And They're Off!

One event that I've always wanted to attend is The Kentucky Derby. This annual horse race takes place at Churchill Downs located in Louisville, Kentucky on the first Saturday in May. There three-year-old thoroughbred horses race along a track that is one and a quarter miles long and the race is referred to as the "The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports."



Although the actual race is over in about two minutes this event has a rich history of traditions that are celebrated for up to two weeks before the race. Leading up to the race there are parades, festivals, and parties and who knows you might bump into a celebrity as they are known for making appearances.

To make myself feel like a celebrity I will stay at the Brown Hotel which is a 4 diamond hotel. Even if my horse doesn't win I'll feel like a winner by staying at this hotel.

Here's a tip on how to pick the winning horse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8_8rCy5Riw

4 comments:

  1. I went to the Derby in 2008 when the girl horse "Eight Belles" broke both ankles and was put down on the track..it was sad. But it was a great time and I recommend anyone to go at least once in their life. Make sure you bet, too...it was fun even though I didn't win!!! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I like your blog a lot! it is very interesting specially travel is my favorite and hoppy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister watches it all the time but I just never got into them but I do know about the huge hat tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too! I almost went to the Derby this year, but ended up having to travel for work. So, the Derby is already penciled in on my calendar! :-)

    ReplyDelete